Monday, September 10, 2012

#2: Art at the Palmer

Adoration of the Magi- Oil on Panel
Attributed to Jan de Beer (1475-1528)
Netherlandish


This painting depicts the very popular biblical scene of baby Jesus receiving gifts from the Three Kings. Jesus is placed on Mary's lap and the Three Kings surround them each holding different valuable items. 


I've traveled all around Europe and been to many museums that have this type of Renaissance art and I find it the most interesting, so I chose this piece to show you what kind of art speaks to me most. A lot of people I know today like more modern art than Renaissance art but I'm a little old fashioned :)


The rhetorical situation of this piece is important because in the mid 1400s in the Netherlands, the paintings were famed for landscapes, portraits, and altarpieces. In my opinion, this specific painting serves as a symbol of all three. The portrait of the Kings giving their offerings to Jesus, which also serves as an altarpiece because of its religious value, and the landscape portrayed in the background of the pice. There are many artistic representations of this biblical scene, done by many artists all around the world, but this particular portrayal is interesting because according to the bible this event happened inside of a stable. In this specific painting this event is taking place in what appears to be a large building with hanging tapestries and a beautiful landscaped view. I believe the painter portrayed "The stable" scene this way to imply that this is what he believes is the proper way a child of such superiority should be approached, even by Kings. Another detail I noticed was none of the Kings are looking Jesus in the eye and this is no accident. To further emphasize the superiority this artist feels toward baby Jesus, he portrays the Kings as uncomfortable in his presence as if they are not worthy. The artist altered this biblical scene to accentuate the importance of the religious character and to demonstrate how he is worshipped, even by Kings.

This painting intrigues me because there are many details intertwined within the simple biblical reenactment. As for pathos, I don't feel "sad" or "happy" when I look at this painting but more curious. I want to know more about why the artist felt the need to change the scene and what his reasoning was. 

This piece of art contains credibility because it refers to a famous scene from the Bible. The Bible deems credibility because it is the most well known collection of stories in the entire world and millions of people worship what is written inside. The artist, Jan de Beer, is credible as well because he was a well known Netherlandish painter, a master of the Guild of St. Luke and then became a dean of the Guild (credible in Christianity which is the subject of his painting).

I believe that the claim of this piece is Jesus is an important figure, contrary to many beliefs. The Kings are purposely portrayed as a lower status than baby Jesus and the setting suggests royalty and superiority rather than the original farm setting portrayed in the Bible. This claim is definitely persuasive because it is illustrating the argument that Jesus is more distinguished than the Kings who were considered of the highest superiority. Even though Jesus is not the center of the painting, he is the main focal point of the scene which helps persuade viewers that the placement in the painting is insignificant to his status.   


My experience at the Palmer was okay. I love art but my favorite genre is renaissance art and there were only a couple of pieces in that era. I would definitely go back, it has a plethora of interesting pieces and I wouldn't mind going back to explore and learn more about them. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the piece you picked. I think its awesome because it is such a famous story and its interesting put a picture to it. Also, it is so cool that you have been all around Europe, you must love it there.

    ReplyDelete