Thursday, December 6, 2012

#8: Self Evaluation

1. I have learned a lot this semester just by taking the English 15S course. My writing style has changed and my perspective on the different forms of arts have changed as well. Coming into the Penn State community as a freshman was overwhelming and stressful at times. Penn State has a plethora of amazing opportunities and it was difficult coming in and trying to immerse myself into so many things at once. I have always been a strong supporter of the arts and have done them my entire life so learning about the many artistic opportunities Penn State has to offer through this course, really helped me narrow down my options of what I might want to experience in my years to come. 

My writing style has definitely improved over these past few months. College-style writing is contrastive in comparison to high school writing and naturally I adapted to the requirements of a college paper. However, I consciously changed certain strategies that I had prior towards useful methods of writing a concise paper. I've learned the different uses of rhetoric, how to analyze advertisements, and how to write a memoir. 

I enjoyed taking this course because we talked about English and related it to the real world. We listened to podcasts on how Penn State was ranked the "Number 1 Party School in America" and analyzed it. This was interesting because it gave two different perspectives-the English analytical side and the Penn State student side. We did many readings that helped influence us how to write our own papers and how to professionally get a point across. The fun aspect to the class was how it revolved around the arts. I have always loved the arts and this class had a deeper perspective on it which was interesting and inspiring. This blog was also a fun and entertaining way to get my opinion out to the world about certain places and events. I really enjoyed going to concerts and shows besides the fact that it was a requirement for the class. I definitely have a different perspective on English now because I have intertwined it with my knowledge of the arts. 

Throughout the course we talked about different styles of writing and how to improve our instinctive style. My professor, Sheila Squillante, was an excellent mentor who showed us her own professional pieces to influence us how to become more masterful writers. Her writing was very influential to me because it showed me how one writes in order to get published and recognized. She taught me how to be less redundant but still inspiring. She taught me how to be more concise with my writing but not to take the meaning away from the work. She taught me how to express myself through my writing but still manage to stay on track. But most importantly, she taught me that professors can be helpful friends too.

I have changed my writing style because of this class but not consciously; it happened on its own. I've never had the chance to write freely about a subject of my choice and I got to do that multiple times in this course. This was an opportunity that had never risen for me and it helped me express myself through something I was passionate about. It really showed me that I am a better writer than I thought and that it is something I might be willing to pursue, even if its just on the side. This course helped me see the many options I could take through English and writing and even if I go no further with it, I know I have a fun hobby.



2. 9/11/12:


9/18/12:

9/24/12

10/01/12

10/10/12

10/15/12

10/23/12

10/30/12

11/07/12

11/12/12

11/27/12

11/30/12

3. I have completed my SRTE! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment